Dale Dodgen and the Chavonnes Battery have been part of CAOSA for many years. With a love of the Cape's history and youth development and custodian of cannons that still fire, she is excited to assist both organisations achieve their goals.
Committee Member 1
Peter G. Underwood
Committee Member 2
Website administrator and Liaison between the Cannon Association of South Africa (CAOSA) and the South African Heritage Resource Agency (SAHRA)
THE MAIN ACHIEVEMENTS OF CAOSA UP TO NOVEMBER 2014:
- 1. Recorded 1012 muzzle loading cannons positioned in South Africa ( with more to go )
- 2. Compiled a database of gun recognition specifications.
- 3. Recovered 19 guns for restoration projects at the Castle and elsewhere.
- 4. Published the Durr Record of Muzzle loading guns in South Africa
- 5. Recovered 34 guns for placement at historical sites including: . Tygerberg
- 6. Published specifications for the reporting and recording of cannon.
- 7. Built 31 carriages for guns
- 8. Restored and painted 33 guns at public places.
- 9. Identified and classified cannon for 9 museums.
- 10. Manufactured replica loading equipment to service guns.
- 11. Advised architects involved on restoration projects.
- 12. Published a safety procedure and standard for firing blanks in cannon.
- 13.Published the first ever Muzzle Loading Cannon Training manual in South Africa.
- 14.Trained and certified several gunners to the highest international standards.
- 15.Fired many cannons at public and charity events with up to 1200 spectators.
- 16.Published 54 issues of a free cannon newsletter.
· Two guns at Kloof Neck
· Dassen Island
· Constantia Neck
· Cannon Bridge in Maitland
· Two guns at Lion Battery
· Obtained three guns for restoration and placement at the Chavonne Battery Museum
· Refurbished three 24 pdr s and one 36 pdr for Hout Bay East and West Forts
· Obtained and refurbished one gun for the Voortrekker Monument.
· Placed one gun at Melkbosstrand as a monument to the Battle of Blaauwberg.
· Refurbished one gun for starting races at False Bay Yacht Club.
· Replaced the old Signal Cannon in Worcester
· Refurbished 6 pdr at Sir Lowry Pass Signal Station
· Refurbished and placed a 8 pdr signal cannon at Hessequaskloof Signal Station
· Refurbished a 6 pdr cannon for Riviersonderend Signal System
· Refurbished and fired the 9 inch RML in Simon’s Town.
· Refurbished and placed a 9 pdr SBML at Bloemendal Restaurant
· Refurbished and placed the original 12 pdr for Tygerberg Nature Reserve Signal Station
· Placed a 6 pdr at Brackenfel Nature Reserve.
· Refurbished a 8 pdr at Bellevue Wine Estate
· Refurbished two guns at Clovelly Country Club
. Refurbished and placed two 4 pdr SBML at Bloemendal Restaurant