Welcome to the Cannon Association of South AfricaWe are a small band of enthusiasts who are determined to stop the loss and decay of the muzzle loading cannon which form a part of our national heritage.
The cannon have been ignored by state bodies unless they came off specified wrecks or were involved in one of the nations more emotional military encounters. Some cannon were already obsolete before Jan van Riebeeck was born, but by their nature cannot compete with distressed wildlife for attention, research, preservation and funding.
- The British 6.3-inch 18 cwt RML was a typical howitzer. Compared to a gun, howitzers of those days had a shorter barrel and fired a heavier shell at shorter distances, at a lower muzzle velocity and with a higher trajectory.
This enabled a howitzer to fire its projectiles into trenches and behind fortifications, something a normal gun with it flat trajectory could not achieve.
- Swedish cannon cast for the Dutch East India Company (VOC), now serving in Melkbosstrand as a memorial to the Battle of Blaauwberg
- By 13/02/1896 the gun was mounted at "Upper North Battery", first fired in 1896, 27 full rounds and 1 reduced round.
Fired in 1897, 38 full rounds, 8 blanks. (In September, 29 full rounds)
Fired in 1898, 20 full rounds and 3 blanks.
Fired in 1899, 26 full rounds and 7 blanks.
Last fired 27/04/1903, 3 full rounds.