1. To preserve the old muzzle loading cannons in South Africa. By locating, measuring, photographing, recording and listing the guns and creating a national database. To research their origins and history.
2. To disseminate and exchange information about cannons. To publish a number of newsletters per year, to advertise firings, to provide talks and lectures, to provide a forum for research, to arrange media coverage.
3. To further the responsible and legal ownership of cannons. To promote the principle of custodianship above ownership. To attach cultural value to cannons which would otherwise be destroyed. To champion the responsible private ownership of antique and historic cannons.
4. To provide a legal and safe mechanism for the blank firing of cannons. To set standards and procedures for safety, to liaise professionally with the Firearms and Explosives arms of the SAPS, to train gunners to a high standard.
BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP
1. Access to an update of the latest Durr Estates record of guns in South Africa.
2. An advisory of any cannon looking for a home.
3. An advisory on planned firings.
4. Priority for lectures, talks and demonstrations on cannon.
5. Advice on cannon maintenance and repair.
6. Access to training, certification and registration as a gunner plus regular updates on gunnery techniques, procedures,safety rules and regulations.
7. Access to a world-wide cannon network.
8. A number of newsletters per year.
9. Advisory on the progress and achievements of the cannon fellowship.
The preservation and appropriate utilisation of the historic muzzle loading ordnance in South Africa.
To locate, record and identify the guns. To prevent their loss, recover them where possible and display them at suitable public places. To respect the confidentiality of private ownership.